Have you booked your senior portrait session yet? Well, whether you’re already on top of things, or it’s on your to-do list, here are 7 tips to help you plan and prepare for your senior session.
7 Tips to Prepare for your Senior Session
1. Decide on the Season…Do you want summer weather to sport that tan and your sun dress? Fall, for the colorful leaves and great scarves? Winter, with those adorable knit hats and possible snow? Or Spring, with the newly bloomed flowers and blue sky days? Decide how you envision your portraits and choose the season that matches that best.
2. Schedule those Portraits! If you know the season you’d like, then go ahead and contact your photographer. If you are not partial to a particular season…then, go ahead and contact your photographer 😂. We book up quickly, especially during the holiday season and in the spring. You don’t want to be left without portraits.
3. Choose your Clothing Wisely…I suggest starting with what you have in your closet. Find your favorite shirt, dress, jeans, see what you come up with. You can always add accessories or just pick up a new shirt to compliment what you already have. The biggest thing is making sure your clothing matches the season.
4. Get your Makeup Done…I promise it is so worth it, and so fun to be pampered for your session. I have teamed up with Andria of Smitten Kittens by Andria for several of my seniors recently. She does beautiful work!
5. Share your Outfit Choices…with your photographer. I always have my seniors text me their clothing choices. That helps me to decide on the locations, and which outfits will look best where.
6. Bring Backup…accessories, hairbrush, touch-up makeup, and a friend or a parent to help with quick outfit changes.
7. Don’t Forget…the things that are special to you whether it be your letter jacket, favorite book, instrument, etc. I want to incorporate things in your portrait session that represent you!
Use these tips to help you with your planning. You can even get a jump start spring of your junior year to start planning and scheduling your session. Most of all, prepare for an amazing senior year and gorgeous portraits.
Reading to book your session? I have several collections to choose from to suit your style and needs. Contact me here to get started!
Thanks for pointing out that photographers easily get booked that is why it must be scheduled way before the day of the shoot. I will share this tip with my cousin since she wanted to get shots of herself in the gown that she will be wearing when she graduates soon. It appears that she will be framing those photos and hang them around their house and in her room.
My pleasure! Congratulations to your cousin!
i’m having my first senior portrait next week and this helped a lot…
I’m so glad you found it helpful. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the photography tips. My son is about to graduate. I’ll look into hiring a photographer that can take pictures of him for the occasion.
I hadn’t thought about how important it is to choose the season so you can decide what to wear. My brother is going into his senior year and he’s really passionate about debate. We’ll have to find a senior photographer that can incorporate this in.
Yes! Choosing the clothing for the season is definitely something to consider, especially if you live in a place with crazy temps. Congrats to your brother. What a great passion! I would love to see how his images turn out.